We believe the library is a place to connect and create.
The Library as Incubator Project was created by Erinn Batykefer, Laura Damon-Moore, and Christina Jones, and was inspired by a discussion about creative advocacy for libraries in one of their courses at the UW-Madison School of Library and Information Studies.
The Project highlights the ways that libraries and artists can work together, and works to strengthen these partnerships. At a time in which both libraries and arts organizations are often having to do more with less, it makes sense for these two parts of our culture to support each other. The Library as Incubator Project calls attention to one of the many reasons libraries are important to our communities and our culture, and provides a dynamic online forum for sharing ideas.
- Feature artists, writers, performers and libraries who exemplify the “library as incubator” idea.
- Highlight physical and digital collections and resources that may be of particular use to artists and writers.
- Provide ideas for art education opportunities in libraries with our program kit collection and practical how-to’s for artists and librarians.
Other project activities:
- We work with artist organizations, libraries, and other cultural institutions to help develop meaningful partnerships and programs that promote the “library as incubator” idea.
- We provide professional development for information professionals who wish to incubate the arts at their institutions. Please note that you are welcome to inquire about webinars, conference presentations, etc., but that we will not be scheduling anything Fall 2016-Summer 2017.
Contact the Project:
- If you’re an artist, librarian, or blogger who is interested in being featured on the website or doing a guest blog post, please see our Submit page for guidelines.
- Email the Library as Incubator Project at any time at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Follow us on Twitter: @IArtLibraries
- Like us and chat us up on Facebook: Library as Incubator Project
Support the Project:
Enjoy following what’s new in the library + art community? Consider making a donation to help sustain the work that we do. Visit our Donate page to learn more.
Read about the Project:
Check out our Press mentions.
Meet the Co-Founders:
For full bios and information on the rest of our Team, please visit the Team page.